This summer, the Society voted to start a restoration project for the “Old Cemetery” on Main Street, which is the oldest town cemetery and was used until the creation of Pine Grove Cemetery in 1857, and for a few burials thereafter. This cemetery must have had a different name in earlier years, but we have found no reference to it yet. The cemetery is located in the part of town that was originally in Steuben, the northern side of the cemetery being the town line. The town had CETA workers remove fallen trees and brush, and fill in holes some years ago and has mowed the area twice a year since. Most of the stones are tipped and/or broken. Some of the people buried there have descendants living in town now – many do not. One section seems to have been set aside for Catholic burials. Eighty family names are represented and over 200 burials (some having been removed to Pine Grove Cemetery by their families).
The “Adopt-a-Plot” Committee of the Society has mapped the cemetery and laid it off in sections which can be “adopted” by anyone interested in this project. The sections are 30′ x 30′ and can be “adopted” in whole or in part. The adopter may sign up for a family name or any section of interest. Each adopter will receive a written guide as to the objectives of the project. You may mow, weed, pick up twigs and clean stones according to guidelines provided. The committee will investigate proper methods of stone repair and be responsible for that phase. If you are unable to personally maintain a lot, you may wish to provide funds for the committee to have the work done. The trees have already been trimmed along Main Street and some adopters have mowed their sections.
No official fund-raising project has been undertaken for the general restoration yet, but this is a possibility for the future. An adopter might be interested in researching the family in the section adopted. We would eventually like to document all of the families. The immediate objective is to find persons interested in helping with the project, assess the cost of restoration and maintenance, and work with the Town of Cherryfield to find the most efficient way to accomplish the work with the funds available.
Any interested person should write to the Society or contact Bill Conway (546-2780); Eleanore Mueller (546-2883); or Margery Brown (546-7979).
PINE GROVE CEMETERY:
Cemetery records for Pine Grove Cemetery are in the process of being updated. No complete record of burials has ever been kept, so tombstones are the only source of information. Kathy Upton has cataloged the cemetery over the past few years (there are something over 1500 burials) and Joanne Willey, Secretary of the Association, is computerizing the lists. The object is to be able to locate individual graves by referring to the list, rather than searching the entire cemetery.
The Association is also undertaking a project to provide more grave sites in the cemetery. Much of the leveling and filling work has been done on the section near Route 1, and lots are now available for purchase. Directors of the Association are: Carl Mayhew, Robert Mayhew, Clarence Tucker, Everett Tucker, Liston Grant, Margery Brown, Kathy Upton, Roger Mathews, Jr., and Joanne Willey. Anyone interested in a lot should contact Joanne.
Perpetual Care is provided on many of the lots, but still a large number do not have such funds available for the care of the lot. The Association is continuing to try and contact descendants of those not having perpetual care and would welcome any assistance in this project.
GENERAL HIRAM BURNHAM:
This is one of the lots in Pine Grove Cemetery that does not have any perpetual care. Hiram Burnham, and several of his brothers, moved here from Machias. They were involved in the lumber industry and some of the family ran a tavern in the building that is now Blueberry Ford.
Hiram Burnham was a Brigadier General in the Civil War and died at the head of his regiment at Chapin Farm, Virginia, on 30 Sept 1864. His body was returned to Cherryfield. The funeral was held at the Baptist Church with so may mourners in attendance that some had to stand outside.
The G. A. R. Post was known as Hiram Burnham Post #50 and the present American Legion is also known as the Hiram Burnham Post.
Should this newsletter reach any descendant or anyone interested in establishing a Perpetual Care Fund for General Burnham, please contact either the Historical Society or the Pine Grove Cemetery Association, P.O. Box 96, Cherryfield, ME 04622.
One of our earlier newsletters contained information from Mrs. Davis’ book about her husband’s life and indicated that when they had come to Humpback Mountain in Beddington to visit his friend, Alexander Bache (who was building the Base Line Road), they had traveled from Bangor by way of the Airline Road.
The article written by Jonas Crane, appearing in the Bangor Daily News, had Mr. Davis staying at the Stage Coach Inn in Cherryfield while the road was being built. Mr. Crane took pictures of the so-called “Inn” in Cherryfield (the present Mary Renski house) to accompany the article.
A conversation with Elmer (Bud) Parker, results in the following information. When Bud was a boy, Jimmy Dorr told of Jefferson Davis coming to town with the supply wagons from Beddington. Mr. Davis stayed overnight at the Cherryfield Hotel, which was located where the Union Trust Company now stands. Mr. Dorr was in his early teens when the Base Line was built.
Another of our Founding Members has passed away. Marion Campbell Newton died July 4, 1989. She was born in Cherryfield on June 22, 1895, the daughter of Albert Ginn and Eliza Marble (Willey) Campbell. She was a graduate of Colby College and a member of the First Congregational Church. She was active in the Historical Society until failing health kept her confined. She is survived by her husband, Richard of Cherryfield; a daughter, Mary Ann Watson of Gower, MO; two grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.
BOSTON POST CANE:
Anna R. Grant, holder of the Boston Post Cane, died August 25, 1989. She was born in Cherryfield on February 14, 1895, the daughter of Wilbur G. and Hattie (Strout) Strout. She was a member of the First Baptist Church of Cherryfield and active in the Senior Citizens Group. She is survived by her daughter and son-in-law, Esther and Hollis Fickett; her son and daughter-in-law, Roger W. and Elizabeth Mathews; three grandchildren; eight great-grandchildren and seven great-great-grandchildren.
Horace Tucker is now the oldest resident of Cherryfield.
Attached to this newsletter is an application to be listed in the 1998 Genealogical Research Directory. The Society will receive $1.00 for each of our members who sends in an application. The deadline for submitting applications is November 30, 1989, and we trust you will have received this newsletter in time to meet that date.
The Society is interested in information about the store in Cherryfield in the late 1800’s known as “Mathews & Fickett”. We believe that the Mathews was A. W. Mathews, but who was the Fickett? The store put out souvenir dishes that showed the “old” Baptist Church, 1873-1903. Can anyone answer this question?
HOUSE HISTORIES: A GUIDE TO TRACING THE GENEALOGY OF YOUR HOME, $14.95; 6″ x 9″, three-color, soft-cover, 77 black & white drawings and other illustrations. There are about 300 pages which include resource sections for every state, a bibliography, index and more. The Society can order these books at a 20% discount ($13.20), or for an order of more than one copy, a 407. discount. See order form at end of newsletter for details. We must receive your order and payment before January 1, 1990, to enter an order. This is a valuable tool for those interested in researching the history of their house.
We try to keep track of the oldest and youngest descendants of Ichabod Willey as of the 4th of July celebration each year. This year the oldest is Herbert A. Willey and the youngest is Brian Willey, son of Cary and Cathleen Willey.
The foundation work for the station building is complete and the building will be lowered shortly. Dan Ladrigan has taken charge of that project and his services are greatly appreciated. Further repair work is scheduled for this fall, so that the building will be ready for painting in the spring. Railroad track will be moved to Cherryfield from Hancock soon. If anyone knows of railroad ties which might be donated or acquired at a nominal cost, please let us know – 37 are needed for the track-laying project.
The members of the local baseball team of 1913, which picture was mentioned in the last newsletter, have been identified thanks to the efforts of Tom Campbell and the good memory of Arthur Grant. Only two members of the 1915 photo have been identified. A recent acquisition is a nice picture of the Cherryfield Silver Mine buildings.
Last winter someone left an old theater seat on the museum platform. Would the donor please let us know where the seat came from and any “history” that goes with it.
The Society participated in the “World’s Largest Garage Sale” in June at the new parking garage in Bangor. Sales were very good, considering the limited time available for gathering items. Our committee (Bill & Jean Conway; Eleanore & Ed Mueller? Dan & Marcia Ladrigan? Tom & Nathalie Hahn; and others) were enthusiastic about the sale and want to participate again next year. Good used items are needed, so when cleaning house, be sure to keep this in mind and contact someone for pick-up. We can store items in the museum over the winter. Paperback books are always good sale items.
St. Michael’s Catholic Church has broken ground for a full basement. The church will be moved onto the new foundation, a chimney built, and a heating system installed to make it possible to use the church year-round. The present church site will be converted to a parking lot. Meeting rooms and kitchen facilities will be constructed in the basement. Winter church services are presently held at the Cherryfield Town Hall. Fund-raising events are still taking place.
The “History of Waldoboro” indicates that the town planted elm trees along its streets as a part of its centennial celebration. Was this done in other towns, also? Early pictures of Cherryfield look as though the elm trees might have been planted at the time of the centennial. Research through old Machias papers does not turn up any mention of tree planting.
The Society has received a booklet with the program for the Cherryfield Milbridge Reunion of the Twentieth Century Club, held on Saturday, April 26, 1930. Does anyone know anything about this club – its objectives, what type of club it was, or where the meeting was held?
There were officers from each town: Cherryfield – President, D. L. Ricker; Vice-president, Mrs. E. L. Ford, and Secretary/Treasurer, N. L. Stevens; Milbridge – President, V. K. Brackett; Vice-president, W. F. Dickson; and Secretary/Treasurer, Mrs. C. V. Cotrell. The speakers were: Captain Charles V. Griffin, “The Quest of the S. S. Peary” and Mr. Ralph Alton, “Pictures of Home Scenes”. After the dinner, there was dancing with music by Wallace’s Orchestra. The menu: Fruit Cocktail, 20th Century Chicken Pie, mashed potatoes, peas, carrots, Chinese salad, cake, ice cream, coffee, butter and rolls.
Northeast Archives of Folklore and Oral History at the University of Maine would like to know the origin of the name “Money Hill” in the Spragues Falls area and the “Garden of Eden” in Beddington. The general consensus in this area is that there was never enough money in Spragues Falls to name a hill for it. No one seems to know anything about the Beddington location, either, but we welcome any comments from our members.
FOURTH OF JULY:
“Pat & Mike’s Frankfurters” had its most successful day ever during the festivities this year. A good crew of hard workers made that possible and we thank all of them. Get your apron and cooking tools ready for another session next year. The museum was open during the day and many visitors were able to view the many displays. All of the events were very popular, especially the Car Show. The parade was excellent, as usual, and a good crowd was on hand for most of the day.
A new committee is in place for the 1990 activities and fund-raising activities are being held regularly. Meetings are held the second Monday of each month at the Cherryfield Town Hall and volunteers are always welcome. Lori Barbee is heading the committee and we “retirees” wish her and her helpers all the best.
A reminder to members that a “change of address” notice must be sent when moving as the newsletter is not forwarded. The Society is becoming truly international with a Canadian member joining and a member in Brazil. The sorting of the newsletter for mailing covers the United States from Hawaii to Florida, and Maine to California with lots of states in-between. Keeping up with all of the members is quite a task and we do want to be sure that your newsletter gets to its proper destination.