New Life for Cherryfield Landmark

by Burni Andres

78-ArchibaldAdams

The Archibald-Adams House, built in 1793, is one of the oldest houses in Cherryfield and has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places. This classic foursquare Federal home at 122 Main Street was built by Thomas Archibald in the then “modern” New English Adam style, and although this was also the style of the highway taverns of the day, this mansion was constructed as a family home and housed Archibalds, Adamses and Campbells and their Celtic-American descendents until the mid-1900s.

Like most old houses, this one, locally known as the Adams House, underwent renovations and updates over the course of two centuries that reflected new ideas and modern technologies. Not all these “improvements” were kind to the house. Then in the 1990s the house fell into loving and knowledgeable hands and its original conservative post-revolutionary interior decoration was restored. A modern country kitchen was added, fireplaces were once again exposed and the house was returned to its original colonial splendor.

It seems entirely fitting that the house is once again in the hands of a person from the British Isles, Englishman Peter Winham and his wife Kathy. The Winhams met in England on an archeological dig and lived on the plains of South Dakota for twenty years where they worked at their profession and raised their family. It was the desire for a change of geography that prompted them to consider moving to New England. As a teenager, Kathy had lived in Connecticut and now, as an empty-nester, she wanted to return east. She had little trouble selling Peter on the idea.

After a fruitless search for archeology positions, they began an Internet search for a place that would provide both a home and a living. In the autumn of 2004 they visited the Adams House on the last day of looking at possibilities in Washington County. The house spoke to their archeologists’ hearts and in January of 2005 they moved in with Mickey, the friendly house cat, and boxes and boxes of “stuff,” but little furniture. Then began a crash course in period decorating and the work of creating a unique Bed and Breakfast.

Like native Mainers, the Winhams use the side entrance and stepping into the Englishman’s B & B is like stepping back in time, with subtle differences. The house is furnished with antiques and period pieces culled from local shops, auctions and estate sales. Quality reproductions fill in the gaps and touches of chinoiserie, as might be found in any such stately home in a New England sea-faring village, strike just the right note of sophistication, restrained elegance and country charm.

The guest lounge originally served as the Archibald’s formal parlor and later as Judge Joseph Adams’ courtroom. In the closet museum one can see the judge’s court log book documenting in his own handwriting what transpired there between 1819-1835. The book has pride of place in the collection of relics on display and was reportedly found under a floorboard in the attic when the house was renovated in the 1990s. A complete history of the house is available for perusal over a cuppa, for here in the lounge guests are also treated to tea in the English tradition.

Officially, tea is served to guests who arrive by five o’clock, but being English, Peter can be persuaded to make tea at almost any hour. Teas of Cherryfield is another new venture for the Winhams and dovetails nicely with the Bed and Breakfast business. They distribute gourmet teas at wholesale and retail and serve the fresh-brewed beverage to their guests along with a variety of elegant teacakes, including the scones and Eccles cakes for which Peter’s native land is justly famous. Being in Cherryfield, the Wild Blueberry Capitol of the World, one is not surprised to find blueberry pound cake and blueberry muffins on the teacart as well.

In the Keeping Room, guests may choose a complete English breakfast – a hearty offering of eggs, bacon, sausage, fried tomato, baked beans and fried potatoes – or just about anything else they may desire. The Winhams aim to please and “since we’re small, we can take personal care of guests preferences,” they say, thinking perhaps of customizing their service to provide just what the guest requires, including, but not limited to, catering to special diets, providing car service or taking guests to places of special interest. They hope to develop services that will fill a niche market and are presently feeling their way along to discover just what their particular niche will be.

It could be as simple as providing a front row seat for watching bald eagles fishing on the Narraguagus River that runs behind the property. The original twelve-over-twelve windows in the spacious guest rooms provide spectacular views of the river and in autumn and winter, eagles can often be seen perched in the bare trees waiting for supper to swim within range. In warmer weather, both the veranda that runs around half the house and the screened gazebo out in the yard provide inviting venues for just settin’ a spell with a cup of tea and a good view.

Especially agreeable guests might even get to see the old Post Office – now part of the proprietor’s quarters – for the Winhams are nothing if not enthusiastic about their new role as custodians of this museum quality national landmark and their new and very welcome venture in historic Cherryfield. For more information visit on-line at www.englishmansbandb.com and www.teasofcherryfield.com or call 207-546-2337.

Please share: Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone
Posted in Stories | Comments Off on New Life for Cherryfield Landmark

Spring 1993: Volume 19, Number 1

OFFICERS & DIRECTORS:

The following officers were elected at the April 14th meeting: Margery Brown, President; Florence Boorse, Vice-President; and Joanne Willey, Secretary/Treasurer.  John Brace, Reuben Wood and Eleanore Mueller were appointed Directors.

FOURTH OF JULY:

The activities will take place on Saturday, July 3rd.  “Pat & Mike’s” Hot Dog Stand is planned and the museum will be open most of the day. The Salmon Run Race will be in the early morning and the Parade will

be at 4:00 pm.  Other planned activities are Children’s Games, Pie Eating Contest, Hole-in-One Contest, Rubber Duck Race and many more. Helpers are needed for our day to be a success, so call Margery or Joanne if you are available.  This is our major fund-raising event of the year and we hope that it will be successful again this year,

DUES & ADDRESSES:

The same system is being used again this year to indicate how much each member owes for dues (*** means 1993, 1992 and 1991; ** means 1993 and 1992; * means 1993 only).  Please notify us when your address changes, so your newsletters will reach you promptly.  Dues unpaid for three years means the member will be dropped from the mailing list,  tie appreciate members who pay dues when due and keep us up to date on addresses,

HIGH SCHOOL CHRONICLE – VOL 1 NO 2 – JUNE 1887 (con’t from last issue)

The following advertisements appeared in this edition:

Peter Smith        Groceries, etc.

  1. H. Cook Champion Mowing Machines, National Rake, UTK               Harrows and Yankee Swivel Plows

Miss S J Ricker    Fashionable Dressmaker

W C & A Ricker     Blacksmith

Feeney             The Tailor

Mrs. C A Ricker    Music Teacher

Cherryfield House  B. McGouldrick, Proprietor

C P Nickels        Groceries, Dry Goods & Lumber

E K Wilson         Box Shooks, Barrel1 Heads, Wash Boards & Job

Plaining

C J Milliken, MD   Office in Drug Store, next door to P. 0.

F S Nickels, Dentist – Office over C P Nickels Store (I shall be at my               office in Cherryfield the first ten days of each                        month)

Frank Feeney       Get cash for Eggs, Furs, Game and all kinds of

Rare Birds for mounting

D S Wilson & Co.   Corn, Flour, Groceries, etc.

Billiard Saloon & Hair-Dressing Rooms (over P. Smith’s store) Geo.                    Cunningham, Prop.

Milliken & Campbell Attorneys at Law & General Insurance Agents

H H Bowles         Pianos, Organs, Sewing Machines & Musical                          Merchandise, Watches, Clocks, Jewelry, silverware,                  guns, pistols, Ammunition, Fishing Tackle, also                         Hammocks, Croquet Sets and Base Ball Goods

S S Hutchinson     Patent Medicine, Paint & Oil, Toilet & Fancy Goods,

Jewelry & Silver-plated ware, Spectacles & Eye                     Glasses, Trunks & Valises, A Fine Line of                           Stationery.

Mrs. G E Church’s Millinery – Summer Hats or Bonnets, Reduced Prices

J Monohon, Jr.     Canned Goods of all Kinds, Fruit, Confectionery,                        Cigars & Tobacco, Flour, Grain, Fancy & Family                     Groceries, Crockery & Hardware

Frank Feeney       Hats & Caps, Gent’s Furnishing Goods, Agent for                         Largest Laundry in Boston, Collars & Cuffs                         Laundried for 2 cents each.

W M Nash           Grand Opening of Wall Paper & Trimmings this week,                 also Dry & Fancy Goods, Clothing, Hats & Caps,                      Boots & Shoes, etc.  At Prices as Low as the                       Lowest.

G R Campbell & Co. Staple & Fancy Goods, Fancy & Family Groceries,                         Boots & Shoes, Crockery & Hardware, Ladies Dress                        Goods, Gent’s Clothing and Hats right from the Hub,               Bradley’s Red Beach & Cumberland Superphosphates,

Manufacturers of Long Lumber, Laths, Shingles &                         Clapboards.

Dr. S M Inman      Dentist.  Office at Residence, First Door above P.                 O.  Will be at my branch office in Milbridge during                 the first week of each month.

G W Wakefield & Sons – At Our Old Stand on the Lower Dam in                           Cherryfield. All kinds of Castings and Machinery                        for Mill, Ship & County Work

A S Willey         Solicitor of Subscriptions for The Machias                         Republican

S Hutchinson & Son Wheelwrights and Carriage Makers.

FOR SALE! A New Tent (12 1/2 x 10 feet). Price $10,  Complete. Ready to set up.  Frank Feeney.

GENEALOGY:

Schoppee Genealogy, written in 1932 – a photocopy has been donated.

Bangor Historical Society Magazine – a set has been ordered (being published by the Maine Genealogical Society.

CHERRYFIELD ACADEMY BUILDING:

The Town has been renovating the building with matching funds received from a grant – funds for this work were also provided by the Cherryfield Academy Trustees and the Cherryfield Public Library.  Money from the grant was also used to build the new fire house – ambulance building on Route #182.  The Academy Building has been insulated, vinyl siding has been installed and all new windows on the first floor.  The Town Office section has been rebuilt along the north wall and the assessors will have the former section.  The Library will now have both the North and South Rooms,  New handicapped bathroom facilities have been installed and the heating system has been upgraded.  The blackboard and teachers’ platform have been retained.  A Committee is working on plans for the restoration of Union Hall  (second floor in the building), which will require handicapped access if it is to be used by the public.

The Library has applied for a grant for renovation of the North Room to provide an appropriate area for children.

It is wonderful to see this historic building preserved and in use each day in a time when so many buildings are left to deteriorate or be demolished.

SCHOOL PICTURE:

A picture of the Grammar School students (7th and 8th grades) has been donated.  The following students have been identified: John Driscoll, Velora Grant, Larry Wass, Arthur Sprague, Neil Farnsworth, Jate Buzzell, Glen Tenan, Frank Nash, Billy VanWart, Lawrence Bray, Mary Stewart, Agnes Corliss, Abigail Wingate, Josephine Ames, Lydia Will, Mary Hartford, Anna Strout, Louise Strout, and Maggie Mahaney.  Two other girls were listed as Strouts,  but no first names were given.  There was also a Connors girl. The teacher was Sophie Baker,  Let us know if you can tell us who else might have been in that group.

DUNBAR:

The Descendants of Robert Dunbar of Hingham, MA was published last year. The author is Ann Theopold Chaplin, RR 2 Box 668, Center Barnstead, NH 33225.  The book is available for $40,80 + postage from New England Historical & Genealogical Society, 101 Newbury St., Boston, MA 02116. It includes some of the early Dunbar families that settled in this area.

NARRAGUAGUS TIMES, November 3, 1899:

Thomas G, Newenham left Sunday evening for Central America where he is general manager for a lumbering company, doing a large business exporting mahogany and red cedar.  Mr. Newenham will be gone at least 2 years.

Dr. Sullivan, the well known eye and ear specialist of Portland, will be in Cherryfield at the Cherryfield House for one day only, next Monday Nov. 6.

MEMBERSHIP LISTS:

Let us know if you feel we should make the membership list available to members for a fee for copying and postage.  Some have requested this.

ESSAY CONTEST:

The winners this year were: First Prize, Jyl Endre of Harrington Elementary School,  “The Frye & Flynn Shipbuilding Co.,”; Second Prize, Connie Look of Harrington Elementary School,  “The Worcester Wreath Co.”; Third Prize, Angela Curtis of Cherryfield Elementary School,  “The Nash-Wakefield House”. The prizes were awarded at the Society’s May meeting and each of the winners read her essay.

TOWN MEETINGS:

The earliest town meetings were held in private homes.  Cherryfield and Harrington, at the time they were still Plantations 11 and 5,  held joint meetings.  As most of the early books are missing, we don’t know just when they started holding separate meetings, but probably at the time Harrington was incorporated in 1796.

In 1842 and 1843,  the meetings were held in Harrison Hall.  In 1844 and 1845, they were held in the District #1 schoolhouse (Upper Corner School). In 1846 and 1847,  they were held at the Lyceum Hall.  In 1848,  the meeting was at Lyceum Hall,  but was adjouned for two weeks to reconvene at Harrison Hall.

Harrison Hall must have burned during this year as the meeting in 1849 was held in the District #1 schoolhouse again.  At this meeting, the Town voted to raise $3,000.00 for building a new town hall/school house.  George H. Devereux Esq. made “a liberal and generous offer to convey the land that Harrison Hall stood on to the town to build a new hall”.

At a Special Town Meeting, September 22,  1849, the town voted to rescind the vote (to raise the $3,000,00) and have the Selectmen pay off all debts incurred.  This leaves us without knowing how and when Cherryfield Academy and Union Hall were built.  Does the “all debts incurred” cover the cost of the building which was built on donated land?

The town meeting of 1850 and 1851 were also held at the District #1 schoolhouse.  From 1852 on, they were held at Union Hall.  The first year that Cherryfield Academy was in the Academy building was 1852.  The last meeting held in Union Hall was in 1963 when the town voted to hold meetings at the American Legion Hall as it was difficult for many people to climb the stairs at Union Hall.  Meetings had always been held at 10:00 a.m.. This was changed for the 1968 meeting to 7500 p.m.  In 1974, after the town office moved to the Academy building, the meetings were held in the Main room.  Now that the Main room has been renovated for more office space, the town meeting for 1993 was held at the Cherryfield Elementary School.

From the 1903-4 Town Report.  The Snow Account came to $497.21 (the appropriation had been only $100.00 – must have been a bad snow year!). The Pauper Account was $2,213.62 ($1,000.00 having been appropriated). The overseers of the poor,  in their report, state “The Amasa P. Willey bequest to the town for the poor came at an acceptable time and is highly appreciated”.  In addition to the Pauper Account was the Insane Poor Account of $503.30.  In those days the names of the people were published with an occasional explanation of why and how they were supported.

Charities listed were: Hiram Burnham Post (G.A.R.) $15.00; Cherryfield Free Public Library $50.00 (and from the State $5.00) and the Cherryfield Band $25.00.

SCHOOL ACCOUNTS:

Teachers Salaries (22 teachers for the year)         $2,939,00 Conveyance                                         155,00 Janitors (there were 19)                                121,75 Fire Wood                                          261,85

Cherryfield Academy                             1,150,00 Text Books                                         335.52 C1eaning Schoo1 houses                              79.50

Repairs, Insurance, Incidenta1s                    573.40

Tunk Schoolhouse (They sold the old one for $10,)       815.49

There were 552 children between the ages of 5 and 21 on April  1, 1904.

WHAT’S IN A NAME?

CHERRYFIELD:  The questions often asked is why Cherryfield and not Blueberryfield?  Blueberries, as an industry,  didn’t get started until the mid 1800’s.  Cherryfield was known by this name before it was incorporated in 1816,  Tradition has it that the Indians referred to this area as “the place on the Narraguagus River where the fields of cherries grow”.

In a book,  donated to the Society and which had belonged in one branch of the Willey family, someone had written that Ichabod Willey,  the first settler,  had written home to New Hampshire that his first night here was spent sleeping in a field of cherry trees.  Therefore,  he named his town Cherryfield.

Another descendant of Ichabod’s suggested that tradition had it that Ichabod had travelled to Cherry Valley,  New York  (at that time a part of the original Londonderry NH Grant)  to visit some relatives just prior to leaving New Hampshire for the Narraguagus River,  so he might have named it after the Cherry Valley.

There is no other Cherryfield in the United States, only a Cherryville in one of the mid-western states.

On a recent trip to Nova Scotia,  the Browns found a Cherryfield on the map. Following Route #10, through mountainous country with small towns (some only houses along the road), they reached New Germany and found they had missed Cherryfield,  After an inquiry at a gas station,  they found 5 houses along the main road and 6 more houses on a side road with a sign saying they were in Cherryfield,  Mrs. Naomi Huntley of Medford, NS (age 93) said that in the 1920’s and 1930’s the Davidson Lumber Company of Maine did extensive lumbering in that area and they had built many houses for their workers,  Most of the houses were later moved or torn down.  Her husband had worked for the company for a time.  Further research may tell if the name of the town was there first or if the lumber company gave it that name.

NARRAGUAGUS:

We are told that the name Narraguagus is an Indian name meaning “wide and shallow” which certainly applies to our river, except at flood time.  The book “Geographical Names of New Brunswick – Rayburn” states that Narraguagus was formerly the name of present day Penobsquis, NB.  There is a Guagus stream that flows south into Lower North Branch Little Southwest Miramichi River.  Derived from Micmac “Gwaagus”,  possibly meaning “rough stream”.

CIVIL WAR:  James H, Mundy, 21 Hillside Rd,, Scarborough, ME requests information (letters, diaries, photographs) on men who served in the 6th Maine Regiment,  Contact Mr, Mundy or Lyman Holmes,  PO Box 123, Machias, ME 04654.

MORRISON/SHIELDS:  Bev Petersen, 16305 Chandler Blvd., Mishawaka, Indiana 46544 requests info on John MORRISON/Fanny SHIELDS m 13Marl843 at Houlton (ch: James H,, George H., Harriet M., Samuel R., Emily J., Thomas C., John T., Aretta, Benjamin, Charlotte, Douglas,  Iepay, Norvell, Jess T,, Anna F., Bertha Etta (Berde), Charles L., Helen and Carey.

Please share: Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone
Posted in Newsletters | Comments Off on Spring 1993: Volume 19, Number 1

Fall 1990: Volume 16, Number 2

CHERRYFIELD HISTORIC DISTRICT:

Kirk Mohney, Architectural Historian, of the Maine Historic Preservation Commission, contacted us last year and proposed designating a portion of downtown Cherryfield as an historic district. Tom Campbell and Bill Conway met with Mr. Mohney and were able to provide sufficient documentation on the older houses for the application to be accepted at the State level.  The Commission then submitted the application to the National Register of Historic Places, where it was approved on October 1, 1990.

The District is comprised of two areas, one on either side of the Narraguagus River.  The section on the east side of the river encompasses the area from the south side of Church Street (two houses at the top of the hill) to the corner of Park Street & New Street (including Ricker House and the Grant home) and the houses on Campbell’s Hill and High Street.  The section on the west side of the river starts with the G. R. Campbell (Hamilton) house and continues south to the former Baptist Parsonage, the Nash Building and the Masonic Hall.  Many of the houses and other buildings in the district have already been placed on the National Register individually.

The Society is interested in obtaining information on more of the houses and buildings in the district – date built, occupants over the years, businesses connected with the building, etc.

Owners of the houses are entitled to a certificate from the Historic Preservation Commission certifying that the house is in the District.  Owners of the property have received letters from the Society containing further information on obtaining the certificates and requesting data on the properties. A map of the area is printed on the next page of this newsletter.

 

GENEALOGICAL NOTES

 

A genealogy seminar was held this summer at the Cherryfield Elementary School conducted by Ronald Bremer of Salt Lake City, Utah.  Mr. Bremer covered many topics in answer to questions from the audience and provided a wealth of information on research sources and methods.  The Society purchased the Compendium of Historical Sources for reference as a research tool and which can be used by contacting Margery Brown* Some members of the Society also purchased the Seminar Transcript (a transcript of an all-day seminar) which contains many sources and Chaos and Confusion by Vincent L. Jones which is extremely helpful in teaching how to organize notes and other materials.

Approximately thirty people attended the seminar and were enthusiastic about the results.  A full-day seminar will be scheduled for the summer of 1992.

 

Percy W. Willey, Jr., of Franklin, has been working at copying more census records for us.  He has done an index to the 1850 census which is extremely helpful.  Others that he has completed are 1900 for Milbridge, Beddington, Deblois, Devereaux Township, and Harrington, and 1910 for Harrington; 1880 for Addison, Columbia, Columbia Falls, Mi1bridge and Steuben (these 1ast being incomp1ete because of the poor quality of the microfilm).  Copies of all of these can be researched by contacting Margery Brown.

 

NARRAGUAGUS TIMES NEWSPAPERS:

 

The New Brunswick Provincial Archives is beginning a microfilming project and will be starting with the Narraguagus Times (1897-1906) newspapers which have been kept at the county courthouse in Machias.

The Society will be purchasing the microfilm as soon as it is aval1able-Microfi1ms require a “reader”, so if anyone knows of one which might be available for purchase or donation, please let us know.

 

ACQUISITIONS:

Most of our acquisitions are items which have been donated by persons who are interested in preserving artifacts of local interest. The Society has, however, established a small fund for acquiring items which might be sold at auctions or yard sales which are unique to Cherryfield.  One such item was purchased this summer from an antique dealer – the seal of the Cherryfield Grange, a beautiful item in the shape of a lion’s head in black and gold enamel.  Members who find such items can purchase them and be reimbursed by the Society for a reasonable amount for the item (not to exceed $200.00).

BOSTON POST CANE:

The Boston Post Cane has recently been presented to Howard Strout as the oldest resident of Cherryfield.  The previous holder of the cane was Frank Guy Morse, who will be greatly missed by all of his family, neighbors and friends.

RAILROAD STATION:

The building was lowered onto concrete posts by our volunteer group headed by Dan Ladrigan.  Painting has been done by Carlton Wi11ey and A1ton (Pete) Grant.  Necessary repairs wi11 be done next year and wi11 inc1ude 1attice work around the bottom. Some progress has been made in obtaining rails and other supplies for setting up a display near the bui1ding — more on that next summer, a1so.

MUSEUM:

The museum was open all day on June 30th (Parade Day), as was “Pat & Mike’s” frankfurter stand.  The help of so many volunteers to keep the building and the concession going is greatly appreciated. This is our major fund-raiser for the year, so we work very hard on making it a success.  We were ab1e to have the museum open on Wednesday and Saturday afternoons during July and August, also, and will continue to do this annually if sufficient volunteers are available.

The origina1 co1ors of the bui1ding (when we received it, at least) were restored when the building was painted this summer – gray with green trim, which matches the railroad station building.  The previous cream trim had seemed to co11ect dirt terribly and cou1dn’t be cleaned.

GRANGES:

Cherryfield Grange #256 was organized September 28, 1888 and probably closed in the late 1930’s or early 1940’s.  The Grange Hall was 1ocated just west of Wayne Smith’s dairy farm on the Wi11ey District Road.  Cherryfield had a second grange, Washburn Grange #91, located on the Ridge Road.  This grange was organized sometime around 1912 and has just recently merged with Osceola Grange of Harrington.

The Cherryfield news in the Bangor Daily News of April 1918 lists the election of officers of Narraguagus Grange which probably was located in either Beddington or Deblois, as the names of the officers would indicate: “Saturday evening April 26, Master, Wilbur Merritt: Overseer, Cora Cakes: Steward, J. W. Schoppee: Lecturer, Mrs, Bertha Grant: Chaplain, Carrie Lancaster: Treasurer, Leander Grant: Secretary, Evie Oakes: Assistants, Hazel Wilson, Helen Oakes: Gatekeeper, Ward Torrey: Mertie Wi1son, E11en Smith and Mer1e Norton, court officers” More information on this grange would be gladly received by the Society.

  1. CAMPBELL MILL:

A letter dated April 18, 1844 from J. W. Moore to his son, Sam, contains the following passage: “I feel poorly today having been summoned to witness at two o’clock 1ast night the burning of A, Campbell & Co. Mills at Stillwater.  The fire is thought to originate from overheating some of the boxes be1ow …… was not noticed by the workmen when they 1eft the mi11.  The Gang, Single Saw and Lath mill and some small machinery, all that was located on the Western End, was entirely consumed – and some lumber.  Loss to them of $20,000 and as much more to the 1abouring community”.

OLD CEMETERY & “ADOPT-A-PLOT”:

The Society voted to spend some monies on the cleaning and straightening of stones in the Old Cemetery near the Town Hall. The Selectmen approved a portion of the money from funds available for such work.  Fred Wieninger, of Wieninger Monumental Works, did as much work as possible for the funds provided.  The stones are much improved in appearance and the Society plans more work for future years.  Bill Conway and Ed Mueller were able to straighten some stones, also, but found it a very time- consuming project.  Two hundred and nine individuals are listed on the some 175 stones in the cemetery – very few descendants are left in the area.  A sign has been installed indicating both the present name and the original name (Hill Cemetery) used when the land was still in Steuben.

The ADOPT-A-PLOT program is still in progress since the total cost of cleaning and straightening stones in the entire cemetery may run as high as $4,000 – $5,000 (the cemetery had been neglected for so many years that the stones are in terrible condition – some broken beyond repair) and help from any source will be appreciated.  Once the stones are cleaned, a thorough and proper washing every few years will keep them in good condition. A considerable amount of filling of holes and uneven places needs to be done, also.  Anyone who wishes to make a financial donation should send it to the Society and specify that it is for the Cemetery Fund.

Kathy Upton adopted the Jeduthan Upton lot and began research on the family.  Jeduthan was a veteran of the Revolutionary War.  Kathy traced his family back to Salem, Mass. and found that he was descended from the same immigrant as her husband’s family which had migrated to Canada.  She also found that Jeduthan, and later his son John, were inn holders in Cherryfield.  This type of information could later be compiled into a book for publication about the various families who are buried in the cemetery.

ICHABOD W1LLEY DESCENDANTS:

Each year, we try to ascertain the oldest and youngest descendants of Ichabod Willey now living in Cherryfield as of July 4th. This year the oldest is Herbert A. Willey and the youngest is Briania Santerre.

ODDS AND ENDS:

Bangor Daily News, April 1918, Cherryfield News item:

“The war relic train will he at the Cherryfield station on Thursday, May 1, arriving at 4:14 pm and leaving about 6:30 for Ellsworth. There will be many war trophies and five speakers accompany the train”. (It would be interesting to learn more about this.)

Narraguagus Times, probably early 1900’s:

“The most lively runaway occurring this season was witnessed from the TIMES office Wednesday morning when a span of horses attached to a jigger came running wildly down Campbell hill.  The team, owned by Geo. Lawn, of Harrington, was in the yard of Dr. Nickels taking on the Doctor’s outfit for Point Ripley where his family will pass the season.  By some means the horses became frightened and before the driver could reach the lines were on the way out of the yard into the street.  When part way down the hill the jigger unshipped and the runaways with the front wheels turned the square and continued up street to the Upper Corner where they were brought to a stop.  The outfit, which was a miscellaneous stock of groceries, canned goods and trunks of clothing, was scattered along the route in a badly damaged condition, and for nearly an hour a shower of granulated sugar continued to fall in front of the TIMES office.  The doctor says he would give five dollars for a picture of the ice chest as when he saw it descending to earth from up among the prophets”.

 

 

Please share: Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone
Posted in Newsletters | Comments Off on Fall 1990: Volume 16, Number 2

Spring 1990: Volume 16, Number 1

ELECTION OF OFFICERS:

The April meeting each year is the one at which officers are elected for the ensuing year.  The meeting was held at the Alexander Campbell House, home of John and Pat Brace.  The following officers were elected: President, Margery Brown; Vice-president, Florence Boorse; Secretary, Joanne Willey; Treasurer, Cheryl Brown.  Allen Savage, Reuben Wood and John Brace were elected Directors.

CUB SCOUTS:

Pack #139 is sponsored by the Congregational Church and has both a Cub

Scout Den and Webelos Den in Cherryfield.  Other dens are in Milbridge and Harrington.  Some of the boys will be old enough for Boy Scouts next year, so leaders are needed.  Contact Cheryl or Larry Brown (546-2841) if interested in volunteering.  Eight of the boys will be going to Cub Scout Camp this summer.

NEWSLETTER MAILING:

This edition of the newsletter was mailed by first class mail (rather than the usual non-profit mailing).  Efforts to maintain correct addresses on the mailing list are not always successful, so every few years a “first-class” mailing is done.  Undeliverable mailing is returned and those names can be dropped from the mailing list.  It is extremely important to notify the Society of an address change as the non-profit mailing is not forwarded.  This edition also contains information on the 200th anniversary of the Alexander Campbell House, so prompt delivery seemed to be a top priority.  Another important item in this edition is the genealogical seminar scheduled for August – early notification gives plenty of time for making plans to attend.

GENEALOGICAL SEMINAR:

This seminar will be held at the Cherryfield Elementary School on Saturday, August 4th from 1:00 – 3:00 p.m.  The seminar is entitled “The World of Genealogy” and will be conducted by Ronald A. Bremer of Salt Lake City, Utah.  It will include such topics as: Introduction & Organization; Speeding up your Genealogy? Little Known Sources; Laws & Rules of Genealogy; and Questions & Answers.  Mr. Bremer is a very dynamic speaker,  is well versed in all aspects of genealogical research, and has over 40 years experience in the field.  His lecture covers all phases of research from serious to humorous.  Don’t miss this opportunity to attend the seminar and to ask questions.  A $1.00 donation per person is requested to cover the use of the facilities.  Please feel free to bring a tape recorder or video camera.  Refreshments will be served after the meeting and Mr. Bremer will have copies of his various publications available for purchase.

MAINE GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY:

The quarterly meeting will be held on Saturday, June 23rd at Mount Desert Island High School in Bar Harbor from 8:30 a.m.  to 3:30 p.m.  This is the first meeting of the Maine Genealogical Society in this area.  The MDI Chapter of MGS is the host for this event.  Research in Eastern Maine and the Maritime Provinces of Canada will be the focus of the meeting. Margery Brown,  President of C-N HS has been invited to speak on Western Washington County Research.  These meetings are always very interesting and informative, so try to attend.

SECOND ANNUAL “WORLDS’ LARGEST GARAGE SALE”:

WLBZ-TV will again sponsor this event which will be held on Saturday, June 16th at the Pickering Square Parking Garage in Bangor.  This sale is open to booths from non-profit organizations only.  Although a small number of items were available for sale last year,  the Society made a tidy profit. Items can be donated anytime up to the date of the sale (call Margery [546-7979], Joanne [546-7937], or Larry [546-2841]) and arrangements will be made to pick them up at your convenience.  New items are not allowed; good second-hand items are allowed; books and records are always good; flea-market items are not allowed – keep this in mind when donating.

Since this is an all-day affair, volunteers are needed who are willing to spend an hour or two at the Society booth.  Contact Margery, Larry or Joanne if you are interested in helping with this event.

RAILROAD STATION:

The restoration project halted suddenly when Mother Nature took us from “Indian Summer” to “Dead of Winter” with such speed.  The concrete posts are in place under the building and the next step is to lower the building onto them.  Dan Ladrigan is in charge of this project and will be glad to hear from any volunteers. Once the building is firmly set onto the posts, the other restoration work can begin; repairing clapboards,  installing the signal arm, chimney work,  painting, etc.

ANNIVERSARY:

Alexander Campbell came to the Steuben area between 1766 and 1768 and built a lumber mill on the Tunk River.  He later moved his mill to the Narraguagus River in Cherryfield and, by 1775,  had acquired over 200 acres of timberland in the area.  Following his service in the American Revolution, he returned to Cherryfield and,  in 1790, built his home on Campbell’s Hill in Cherryfield.  Alexander Campbell died in 1807.

Samuel Campbell (1775-1833), son of Alexander, was the next occupant. After his death, the house was remodeled for two families.  Samuel’s widow, Rebecca, and their son, Francis,  lived in one part; their son, Alexander and his family, in the other part.  Rebecca died in 1870 and Francis died in 1872,  leaving the entire house to Alexander.  About 1880, Alexander built a large home across the road to the south and gave his old home to his son, Fred I. Campbell.

The bay windows were added to the house in 1889 by Charles Allen, a well-known builder of the area.  Fred I. Campbell died in 1909; his widow, Josephine lived there until her death in 1932.  The home was then used by the descendants of Fred and Josephine as a summer residence for many years. In 1975, John Brace (grandson of Fred; great-great-great grandson of General Alexander) became the sole owner of the home where he and his wife, Pat, now reside.

The date of Saturday, August 18,  1990, has been set for an anniversary celebration for the house.  Current members of the Society and guests are invited to attend the party from 1:00 – 4:00 p.m.  Since space is somewhat limited, a reply section is included with the order form at the end of this newsletter – this is for tentative plans only and not to be considered a firm commitment.  The Brace’s will be acting as hosts for the party with assistance from members of the Society.

PROPERTY:

The Methodist Episcopal Church was built on property obtained by its trustees (William Burnham, James A. Campbell and William B. Nash) for the sum of $100.00 from William B. and Tryphena Nash.  The lot contained thirty-nine and one-quarter rods and the deed was recorded in Vol. 50, Page 444,  Washington County Registry of Deeds, June 10,  1843 at 7:00 a.m. This lot is the site of the present American Legion Hall.

Among the other papers contained in a box donated by descendants of William B. and Tryphena Nash was a paper giving permission to David W. Campbell to enter upon the lot of the Methodist Meeting House in front of said Meeting House to lay an aqueduct in and across said lot for the purpose of conveying water to the house of David W.  Campbell and to enter upon the lot at all suitable times for repair of said aqueduct so long as he or his heirs and assigns shall maintain the same.  Witnessed the 5th day of May 1868: Daniel E. Nickels, William B. Nash and Alfred Small.

This must have been the same aqueduct line that was dug up by Joseph Sproul at the time the parking lot was put in behind the Union Trust Company bank. We have a section of that line in our museum.  The water line must have run from a spring on the hill behind the Academy Building,  in front of the Methodist Church,  behind the Baptist Church and the Cherryfield House Hotel (present site of the Union Trust Company)  to reach the Campbell House, now the home of Barbara Patten.  Several springs, some from as far away as the southwestern slope of Willey Hill, were piped into houses along Main Street.

ADOPT-A-PLOT:

Bill Conway and John Brace have met with Fred Wieninger, of Wieninger Monumental Works, and discussed the straightening and cleaning work to be done at the Old Cemetery.  Fred made a very reasonable offer for doing the necessary work by dividing the cemetery into sections and working on one section at a time (the reduced rate offered was to be considered Fred’s contribution to the project).  The Society voted to spend the money to have one section done last fall,  but the early onset of winter prevented that from happening.  Charles Tenan offered a load of gravel – to be delivered as soon as it stopped raining – the rain,  however, was followed by a blizzard.

The present plan is for the committee and all available volunteers to right and reset the stones for cleaning in the fall when Fred has some spare time.  Any unbroken stones can be reset once the ground thaws making them easier to clean.

Bill Conway, Chairman of this project,  is recovering from recent open-heart surgery.  If you wish to volunteer for the project, please call Margery (546-7979), Eleanore Mueller (546-2883), or John Brace (546-2101).  We wish Bill a speedy recovery.

HISTORIC DISTRICT:

The Maine Historic Preservation Commission is interested in designating the area which comprises Park Street, New Street, Campbell Hill, High Street and Main Street (to the Upper Corner and beyond), and some portions of the West Side of the River as an Historic District.  Kirk Mohney, Architectural Historian, will be in town this spring to document the houses.  Bill Conway and Tom Campbell are working on this project.

GOLD COIN:

Marjorie Allen, a graduate of Cherryfield Academy and resident of Portland, Maine, won the gold coin which was raffled at the time of the 225th anniversary celebration of the Town of Cherryfield.  The coin has now been donated to the Society and is a very much appreciated addition. Two hundred and twenty-five silver coins were struck and each was numbered. Five hundred pewter coins were made and a few of those are still available.

CHARLOTTE RICKER – MEMBER, FRIEND & BENEFACTOR:

Charlotte Ricker, daughter of Mark & Florence (Dean) Ricker and niece of George Ricker (Cherryfield’s blacksmith for many years) died in October of 1989.  She had been a member of this Society since 1977 and, although she lived in Haverhill, Mass., had kept continuous contact with her family roots in Cherryfield.  She and her sister, Virginia (who died in 1986), had attended the open house at Ricker House (one of the old family homes) in 1985 and displayed a scrapbook which Charlotte had been compiling on the family history.

Charlotte and Virginia had acquired many items from the Annie Ricker house on Church Street and the Abbie Ricker (Helen and Lucy Emery) home when the estates were settled.  Charlotte felt that those items should be returned to Cherryfield and made arrangements for donating them to the Society where they will be displayed later.

A 38-year employee of AT&T Bell Labs, Charlotte was also an organist and choir member of her church, member of many historical and genealogical societies (including the Maine Genealogical Society and the Maine Old Cemeteries Association) and a dedicated genealogist.

In addition to the items of Ricker historical value which have been returned to the Society,  Charlotte made a gift to the Society in her will of $10,000.00 which will be used for acquiring historical and genealogical data of the town and surrounding area.  These funds will enable the Society to pursue this goal much more actively and will continue work which Charlotte had accumulated on the Ricker family.

 

 

Please share: Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone
Posted in Newsletters | Comments Off on Spring 1990: Volume 16, Number 1

Fall 1989: Volume 15, Number 2

ADOPT-A-PLOT:

This summer, the Society voted to start a restoration project for the “Old Cemetery” on Main Street, which is the oldest town cemetery and was used until the creation of Pine Grove Cemetery in 1857, and for a few burials thereafter.  This cemetery must have had a different name in earlier years, but we have found no reference to it yet.  The cemetery is located in the part of town that was originally in Steuben, the northern side of the cemetery being the town line.  The town had CETA workers remove fallen trees and brush, and fill in holes some years ago and has mowed the area twice a year since.  Most of the stones are tipped and/or broken.  Some of the people buried there have descendants living in town now – many do not.  One section seems to have been set aside for Catholic burials.  Eighty family names are represented and over 200 burials (some having been removed to Pine Grove Cemetery by their families).

The “Adopt-a-Plot” Committee of the Society has mapped the cemetery and laid it off in sections which can be “adopted” by anyone interested in this project.  The sections are 30′ x 30′ and can be “adopted” in whole or in part.  The adopter may sign up for a family name or any section of interest.  Each adopter will receive a written guide as to the objectives of the project.  You may mow, weed, pick up twigs and clean stones according to guidelines provided.  The committee will investigate proper methods of stone repair and be responsible for that phase.  If you are unable to personally maintain a lot, you may wish to provide funds for the committee to have the work done.  The trees have already been trimmed along Main Street and some adopters have mowed their sections.

No official fund-raising project has been undertaken for the general restoration yet, but this is a possibility for the future.  An adopter might be interested in researching the family in the section adopted.  We would eventually like to document all of the families.  The immediate objective is to find persons interested in helping with the project, assess the cost of restoration and maintenance, and work with the Town of Cherryfield to find the most efficient way to accomplish the work with the funds available.

Any interested person should write to the Society or contact Bill Conway (546-2780); Eleanore Mueller (546-2883); or Margery Brown (546-7979).

PINE GROVE CEMETERY:

Cemetery records for Pine Grove Cemetery are in the process of being updated.  No complete record of burials has ever been kept, so tombstones are the only source of information.  Kathy Upton has cataloged the cemetery over the past few years (there are something over 1500 burials) and Joanne Willey, Secretary of the Association, is computerizing the lists.  The object is to be able to locate individual graves by referring to the list, rather than searching the entire cemetery.

The Association is also undertaking a project to provide more grave sites in the cemetery.  Much of the leveling and filling work has been done on the section near Route 1, and lots are now available for purchase.  Directors of the Association are: Carl Mayhew, Robert Mayhew, Clarence Tucker, Everett Tucker, Liston Grant, Margery Brown, Kathy Upton, Roger Mathews, Jr., and Joanne Willey.  Anyone interested in a lot should contact Joanne.

Perpetual Care is provided on many of the lots, but still a large number do not have such funds available for the care of the lot.  The Association is continuing to try and contact descendants of those not having perpetual care and would welcome any assistance in this project.

GENERAL HIRAM BURNHAM:

This is one of the lots in Pine Grove Cemetery that does not have any perpetual care.  Hiram Burnham, and several of his brothers, moved here from Machias.  They were involved in the lumber industry and some of the family ran a tavern in the building that is now Blueberry Ford.

Hiram Burnham was a Brigadier General in the Civil War and died at the head of his regiment at Chapin Farm, Virginia, on 30 Sept 1864.  His body was returned to Cherryfield.  The funeral was held at the Baptist Church with so may mourners in attendance that some had to stand outside.

The G. A. R. Post was known as Hiram Burnham Post #50 and the present American Legion is also known as the Hiram Burnham Post.

Should this newsletter reach any descendant or anyone interested in establishing a Perpetual Care Fund for General Burnham, please contact either the Historical Society or the Pine Grove Cemetery Association, P.O. Box 96, Cherryfield, ME 04622.

JEFFERSON DAVIS:

One of our earlier newsletters contained information from Mrs. Davis’ book about her husband’s life and indicated that when they had come to Humpback Mountain in Beddington to visit his friend, Alexander Bache (who was building the Base Line Road), they had traveled from Bangor by way of the Airline Road.

The article written by Jonas Crane, appearing in the Bangor Daily News, had Mr. Davis staying at the Stage Coach Inn in Cherryfield while the road was being built.  Mr. Crane took pictures of the so-called “Inn” in Cherryfield (the present Mary Renski house) to accompany the article.

A conversation with Elmer (Bud) Parker, results in the following information.  When Bud was a boy, Jimmy Dorr told of Jefferson Davis coming to town with the supply wagons from Beddington.  Mr. Davis stayed overnight at the Cherryfield Hotel, which was located where the Union Trust Company now stands.  Mr. Dorr was in his early teens when the Base Line was built.

DEATHS:

Another of our Founding Members has passed away.  Marion Campbell Newton died July 4, 1989.  She was born in Cherryfield on June 22, 1895, the daughter of Albert Ginn and Eliza Marble (Willey) Campbell.  She was a graduate of Colby College and a member of the First Congregational Church.  She was active in the Historical Society until failing health kept her confined.  She is survived by her husband, Richard of Cherryfield; a daughter, Mary Ann Watson of Gower, MO; two grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.

BOSTON POST CANE:

Anna R. Grant, holder of the Boston Post Cane, died August 25, 1989.  She was born in Cherryfield on February 14, 1895, the daughter of Wilbur G. and Hattie (Strout) Strout.  She was a member of the First Baptist Church of Cherryfield and active in the Senior Citizens Group.  She is survived by her daughter and son-in-law, Esther and Hollis Fickett; her son and daughter-in-law, Roger W. and Elizabeth Mathews; three grandchildren; eight great-grandchildren and seven great-great-grandchildren.

Horace Tucker is now the oldest resident of Cherryfield.

RESEARCH:

Attached to this newsletter is an application to be listed in the 1998 Genealogical Research Directory.  The Society will receive $1.00 for each of our members who sends in an application.  The deadline for submitting applications is November 30, 1989, and we trust you will have received this newsletter in time to meet that date.

The Society is interested in information about the store in Cherryfield in the late 1800’s known as “Mathews & Fickett”.  We believe that the Mathews was A. W. Mathews, but who was the Fickett? The store put out souvenir dishes that showed the “old” Baptist Church, 1873-1903.  Can anyone answer this question?

HOUSE HISTORIES: A GUIDE TO TRACING THE GENEALOGY OF YOUR HOME, $14.95; 6″ x 9″, three-color, soft-cover, 77 black & white drawings and other illustrations.  There are about 300 pages which include resource sections for every state, a bibliography, index and more.  The Society can order these books at a 20% discount ($13.20), or for an order of more than one copy, a 407.  discount.  See order form at end of newsletter for details.  We must receive your order and payment before January 1, 1990, to enter an order.  This is a valuable tool for those interested in researching the history of their house.

ICHABOD WILLEY:

We try to keep track of the oldest and youngest descendants of Ichabod Willey as of the 4th of July celebration each year.  This year the oldest is Herbert A. Willey and the youngest is Brian Willey, son of Cary and Cathleen Willey.

RAILROAD STATION:

The foundation work for the station building is complete and the building will be lowered shortly.  Dan Ladrigan has taken charge of that project and his services are greatly appreciated.  Further repair work is scheduled for this fall, so that the building will be ready for painting in the spring.  Railroad track will be moved to Cherryfield from Hancock soon.  If anyone knows of railroad ties which might be donated or acquired at a nominal cost, please let us know – 37 are needed for the track-laying project.

PICTURES:

The members of the local baseball team of 1913, which picture was mentioned in the last newsletter, have been identified thanks to the efforts of Tom Campbell and the good memory of Arthur Grant.  Only two members of the 1915 photo have been identified.  A recent acquisition is a nice picture of the Cherryfield Silver Mine buildings.

MYSTERY:

Last winter someone left an old theater seat on the museum platform.  Would the donor please let us know where the seat came from and any “history” that goes with it.

SALE:

The Society participated in the “World’s Largest Garage Sale” in June at the new parking garage in Bangor.  Sales were very good, considering the limited time available for gathering items.  Our committee (Bill & Jean Conway; Eleanore & Ed Mueller? Dan & Marcia Ladrigan? Tom & Nathalie Hahn; and others) were enthusiastic about the sale and want to participate again next year.  Good used items are needed, so when cleaning house, be sure to keep this in mind and contact someone for pick-up.  We can store items in the museum over the winter.  Paperback books are always good sale items.

CHURCHES:

St. Michael’s Catholic Church has broken ground for a full basement.  The church will be moved onto the new foundation, a chimney built, and a heating system installed to make it possible to use the church year-round.  The present church site will be converted to a parking lot.  Meeting rooms and kitchen facilities will be constructed in the basement.  Winter church services are presently held at the Cherryfield Town Hall.  Fund-raising events are still taking place.

ELM TREES:

The “History of Waldoboro” indicates that the town planted elm trees along its streets as a part of its centennial celebration.  Was this done in other towns, also? Early pictures of Cherryfield look as though the elm trees might have been planted at the time of the centennial.  Research through old Machias papers does not turn up any mention of tree planting.

PROGRAM:

The Society has received a booklet with the program for the Cherryfield Milbridge Reunion of the Twentieth Century Club, held on Saturday, April 26, 1930.  Does anyone know anything about this club – its objectives, what type of club it was, or where the meeting was held?

There were officers from each town: Cherryfield – President, D. L. Ricker; Vice-president, Mrs. E. L. Ford, and Secretary/Treasurer, N. L. Stevens; Milbridge – President, V. K. Brackett; Vice-president, W. F. Dickson; and Secretary/Treasurer, Mrs. C. V. Cotrell.  The speakers were: Captain Charles V. Griffin, “The Quest of the S. S. Peary” and Mr. Ralph Alton, “Pictures of Home Scenes”.  After the dinner, there was dancing with music by Wallace’s Orchestra.  The menu: Fruit Cocktail, 20th Century Chicken Pie, mashed potatoes, peas, carrots, Chinese salad, cake, ice cream, coffee, butter and rolls.

PLACE NAMES:

Northeast Archives of Folklore and Oral History at the University of Maine would like to know the origin of the name “Money Hill” in the Spragues Falls area and the “Garden of Eden” in Beddington.  The general consensus in this area is that there was never enough money in Spragues Falls to name a hill for it.  No one seems to know anything about the Beddington location, either, but we welcome any comments from our members.

FOURTH OF JULY:

“Pat & Mike’s Frankfurters” had its most successful day ever during the festivities this year.  A good crew of hard workers made that possible and we thank all of them.  Get your apron and cooking tools ready for another session next year.  The museum was open during the day and many visitors were able to view the many displays.  All of the events were very popular, especially the Car Show.  The parade was excellent, as usual, and a good crowd was on hand for most of the day.

CHERRYFIELD DAYS:

A new committee is in place for the 1990 activities and fund-raising activities are being held regularly.  Meetings are held the second Monday of each month at the Cherryfield Town Hall and volunteers are always welcome.  Lori Barbee is heading the committee and we “retirees” wish her and her helpers all the best.

MEMBERS/ADDRESSES:

A reminder to members that a “change of address” notice must be sent when moving as the newsletter is not forwarded.  The Society is becoming truly international with a Canadian member joining and a member in Brazil.  The sorting of the newsletter for mailing covers the United States from Hawaii to Florida, and Maine to California with lots of states in-between.  Keeping up with all of the members is quite a task and we do want to be sure that your newsletter gets to its proper destination.

 

 

Please share: Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone
Posted in Newsletters | Comments Off on Fall 1989: Volume 15, Number 2

Spring 1989: Volume 15, Number 1

ELECTION OF OFFICERS:

 

Officers for the ensuing year are elected at the April meeting each spring.  Some of us would really like to have other members come forward to take offices in the Society.  This year, however, continued the pattern of the past few years and the following were elected: Margery Brown, President; Florence Boorse, Vice-President; Joanne Wiliey, Secretary; Cheryl Brown, Treasurer; Allen Savage, Reuben Wood, and John Brace, Directors.

 

ESSAY CONTEST:

 

The prizes in the Dr. & Mrs. Laurence A. Betteridge Essay Contest were awarded on May 10th at the Cherryfield Elementary School.  This contest is open to all 8th grade students in S, A. D. #37.  The winners this year were:

First Prize: Theresa Strout, Columbia Falls, “The Old Bean Factory & Railroad Station at Columbia”

Second Prize: Jessica Ward, Columbia Falls, “Charles K. Worcester & The Silver Black Fox Farm”

Third Prize: Carrie Robinson, Milbridge, “Marine Blood Worms”

Honorable Mention: Jason Barrett, Columbia Falls, “The Sardine Industry in Washington County with Special Reference to the Sunset Packing Company of Pembroke”

Honorable Mention: Catrina Brace, Cherryfield, “The General Alexander Campbel1 Homestead”

 

We are very pleased each year with the participation of the students and the variety of subject with which they deal.  The winners this year were all concerned with subjects familiar to each student’s family history and were well researched and contained much information acquired through personal interviews.  We all find that we learn much about the local area from each of these essays.

DEPOT RESTORATION PROJECT:

 

This spring we have been very fortunate to have Dan & Marcia Ladrigan, new owners of the old Grammar School building, take an interest in this project. Mr. Ladrigan offered his services and those of his company to review the project and estimate the cost for setting the building on a foundation of posts.  The estimate for materials is $1,000.00, and some labor will have to be hired for digging the holes.  We hope to be able to get this job done soon, so that the building can be painted this summer and made to look more presentable.

 

YARD SALE:

 

WLBZ is holding a gigantic yard sale at the new Bangor Parking Garage. This sale is open to non-profit organizations only and will be held on Saturday, June 17th.  Bill Conway has volunteered to represent us at the sale where we will be able to sell our publications and other items. We would appreciate receiving any “good” items which could be sold.  We have been notified that “flea market” type items will not be allowed and brand-new goods will not be allowed.  Anyone having suitable items should contact Margery or Joanne.

 

PARKING LOT:

 

Blueberry Ford, Inc. (new owners of the Ford franchise in Cherryfield) has been contacted about removing vehicles from the lot next to the museum. Plans are to clean up and landscape that area before summer.  We very much appreciate the cooperation of the company in removing their vehicles so promptly.

 

RECENT DONATIONS:

 

“Descendants of Samuel Sturtevant” by Robert Sturtevant, has been given to the Society for our library.  The author tells us that “Samuel Sturtevant played an active part in the early growth of Plymouth, Massachusetts, the first permanent settlement in the United States.  Working with men of strength such as William Bradford, Myles Standish, Edward Winslow, Thomas Prince, William ColIyer, and Edmond Freeman – – – Samuel Sturtevant proved himself to be a valuable asset to the new Colony.” The book has 869 pages, size 8 1/2″ x 11″ and is hard-cover (Library of Congress Catalog Card Number 86-50436).  The book is intended primarily for the Genealogical Sections of libraries. Further information and copies may be obtained from: Robert H. Sturtevant, 3001 Inverness Drive, Waco, Texas 76710

“Downeast Dicksons” by Katharine Dickson which is concerned with the Harrington Dickson and allied lines, has been presented by the author. Further information on this book may be obtained by contacting Katharine Dickson Brown, R. F. D. 1, Henniker, NH 03242.

 

Nolan and Beryl Rossi of Milbridge have donated a muzzle loader made by Tower of England, and a cardboard ice cream box printed “Victoria Rossi Dealer in Fruit and Confections and Manufacturer of Pure Ice Cream Wholesale and Retail.  Ice Cream by Pint, Quart and Gallon.  Also by Plate and Small Boxes.  Cherryfield, Maine.”

FAMILY RESEARCH:

 

Member Gary W. Wilson, P. 0. Box 1892, Portland, ME 04104, has offered to help other members who are interested in lines he is researching – Curtis, Connors, Dyer, Dorman, Fickett, Harrington, Hartford, Hutchinson, Ingersoll, Keith, Leighton, Libby, Parker, Pinkham, Ridley, Rumery, Sawyer, Shaw, Shorey, Smith, Trundy, Tucker, Warren, West, Whitten and Wilson.

 

Mrs. Kay Stevens, 4423 Newport Woods, San Antonio, TX 78249 would like to know where the Masonic records for Maine are kept.  She is trying to locate the place and date of marriage of Wilmot W. Nash (1831-1861) of Cherryfield and Clara V. Orcutt (1833-1894), who was born in Bucksport.

 

There is now a Worcester Family Association for those researching Wooster/Worcester/Worster lines in Maine.  They issue a quarterly newsletter and dues are $5.00 per year.  Checks may be sent to Ralph & Alice Long, Mount Desert, ME 04660.  (Bangor Daily News – 1989)

 

The following obituary appeared in the-Portland Press Herald and was sent to us by Marjorie Allen, a member of the Society.  It may be of interest to those researching the Small family.  Dated: Windham – Jennie Handy Roy, 103, died at the home of Ella Young on the Cook Road Thursday.  She was the widow of John T. Roy.  She was born in Cherryfield January 5, 1885, a daughter of William and Mary Small.  She lived at one time in Waldoboro, then moved to Portland, where she lived for 60 years.  After leaving Portland, she lived with a niece, Marion Savage, in Melrose, MA, for seven years and then moved to Windham three years ago.  Survivors include a sister, Nena Larochelle of Melrose, MA, five nieces and a nephew. Burial will be in Brookland Cemetery, Waldoboro.

 

TOWN BASEBALL TEAM:

 

We have acquired two pictures of local baseball teams which require some identification.  One is a postcard of the Academy (?) team with one older man wearing a suit, tie and wedding ring (coach?).  Two of the other eight people have “C A” on their shirts, one has “C” on his jacket and one has “Highland” on his jacket.  The card was mailed in 1915 to Mrs. John Sproul, Cherryfield, and was from “Effie”.  The postmark was “Calais & Bangor” so must have been canceled aboard the train.  This card came from a collection of papers given to us from the Joseph Ramsdell house – John Sproul was Mrs. Ramsdell’s father.

 

The other picture is marked “Cherryfield B.B. Team, 1913”.  One person is dressed in a suit and one has a suit coat on over his uniform.  The others have an baseball uniforms with “C” on the shirts.

 

POSTCARDS:

 

Frank Winslow, of Cherryfield, made postcards of most of the surrounding towns as well as hunting camps, mountain tops and ponds.  None from the area around Deblois and Beddington have come to our attention.  If anyone has any from these areas, we would like very much to borrow them to have copies made.

REQUESTS:

The Northeast Archives of Folklore & Oral History at the University of Maine is compiling a book (project publication date, September 1989) of the derivation of Maine place names.  They are interested in unusual names given to sections of towns* anecdotes connected with the names, etc. They had heard of our “Devil’s Garden” and information has been forwarded on that.  Anyone having knowledge of other places, such as streets, hills, or special places with stories connected, contact us and we will send the information along.

The Maine Chiefs of Police Association has undertaken a project to erect a permanent memorial to those law enforcement officers who have lost their lives in the line of duty in this state.  They have contacted historical societies in hopes of locating those men who died prior to the turn of the century.  These records might be found in personal family histories, old newspaper accounts, or other materials.  Anyone having information on any officer killed in the line of duty should send the information to us and we will forward it to the Association.

PURCHASES:

“The Vessels of Way Down East” by Joyce Kinney of Eastport is a recent addition to our library.  This is a very well researched book that covers all of the ships built in the towns east of Machias.  The book is 8 1/2″ x 11″, soft cover, 156 pages with many illustrations of ships and related papers.  The book is available from Mrs. Kinney for $20.00 pp.

SOUVENIR CARD:

Philip Champagne of Thomaston, Maine, has sent us a souvenir card of the Upper Corner Primary School ― Winter Term 1902 ― Alice L. Riley, Teacher ― G. G. Freeman, Supt.  A picture of Miss Riley is on the front of the card.  Inside is a list of pupils, as follows:

Corliss: Agnes, David, James, Marian, Marada and Leroy      Davis: Harold and Hazel           Dunbar: Lawrence

Grimes: Freddie                   Haycock: Preston

Haynes: Dora                      McDevitt: Bertha and Marjorie

Mathews: George and Margaret      Oakes: Albert and Walter

Prosser: Lavinia                  Silsby: Mabel

Savage: Marian                    Schoppee: Georgie

Sproul: Ada and Henry             Smith: Gladys

Stevens: Norman                   Tenan: Glenwood

Thompson: Neil                    Tracy: Howard and Rosilla

Tucker: Ethel                     Wass: Helen and Lawrence

Willey: Beatrice, Doris, Eva and Earnest Mr. Champagne found this in a box of papers he bought at an auction in Bremen, ME.  Alice Riley’s sister was married to a minister who served churches in the Knox County area which would account for this card being there.  Alice married E. A. Coffin of Harrington between 1902 and 1905.

RECIPES:

Coffin Small (1854) – “Cheap paint for roofs”: Mix one bushel of good lime into a smothe whitewash in 40 gal. of water, if any lumps strain out, then add slowly, stir thoroughly 20 lbs Spanish whiting, 17 lbs rock salt, 12 lbs sugar.  Keep the mixture well stirred while using put on thin 2 or 3 coats.  It will keep white and preserve shingles better than paint and much cheaper.”

Coffin Small – Liquid Graftings “One lb of rosin over a slow fire remove when hot stir in one oz of tallow cool a little add 1 02 of spirits of turpentine 5 02 of alcohol keep in a corked bottle- It is good for all abrasions of the skin of the trees or of animals.”

RESEARCHER:

Margaret Kelley Ashe Colton, 92, of Milbridge, ME and New Britain, CT, died 26 Dec 1988 in Redding, CA where she had lived in recent years to be near her daughter.  Mrs. Colton will be remembered by many genealogists for the tremendous amount of research she has done on Washington County families over the past fifty years.  She had given copies of her work to this Society, as well as the Bangor, Steuben and Machias libraries.  She was active with the Maine Historical Society, Maine Old Cemetery Association, and a member of the Hannah Weston Chapter, DAR.  Mrs. Colton said she always took her suitcase of genealogical records with her when she spent winters in California and summers in Maine and Connecticut.  She found that family research was more entertaining than television.  She spent a good part of her winter time in the Los Angeles Public Library genealogy room. The time eventually came when she could no longer drive to the west coast, but she enjoyed flying and her suitcase of records went with her.

BUSY MEMBERS:

Our members are concerned with current issues, as well as the past. A letter in the January 1989 issue of AARP News Bulletin supports that conclusion:

“My husband and I very much enjoyed the article about Action for Children’s Television and Peggy Charren in your November issue.  We have supported that group for many years because of our grandchildren, and other children, of course.  Unfortunately, despite a strong vote in both the House and Senate, President Reagan pocket-vetoed the bill.  That means that a new House and Senate and president will have to be educated:  I suggest that we all start immediately by writing to our representatives in Congress in the strongest terms.  We grandparents can do a lot, as Mrs. Charren has shown so well.”  Patricia Eden, Bethesda, MD (& Cherryfield, ME)

CHERRYFIELD DAYS:

Plans are moving along for the annual Cherryfield Days Celebration which will start this year on Thursday, June 29th and end on Sunday, July 2nd. We hope everyone can schedule their visits to Cherryfield to coincide with these events.  The calendar thus far shows the following:

Thursday: Cherryfield Follies – “The Kid in All of Us”

Friday: Fire Department Breakfast

Saturday: Breakfast at the Congregational Church Assembly Hall Parade

Historical Society Museum and Hot Dog Stand Open Kids Games – Blueberry Pie Eating Contest Cherryfield Follies – “The Kid in All of Us” Sunday: “Glory Land Quartet” – Church of the Open Bible Softball Tournament – Elementary School Field Salmon Run —- – Narraguagus River Rally Anyone with other events planned should contact Ruth Curtis (546-7416) as soon as possible.

CHERRYFIELD ALUMNI ASSOCIATION:

The 77th reunion of the Cherryfield Alumni Association will be held on Saturday, June 3rd at the Cherryfield Elementary School.  The festivities will begin at 2:00 p.m. with a gathering to meet and greet old friends and classmates.  Please bring your old yearbooks and pictures.

The evening activities begin at 6:00 p.m. with a banquet, followed by the business meeting and a dance. Joe Foster will be the toastmaster this year and music for dancing will be provided by Larry Smith and his orchestra.

Please share: Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone
Posted in Newsletters | Comments Off on Spring 1989: Volume 15, Number 1

December 1976, Volume 2, Number 2

MARGERY BROWN, EDITOR

The Historical Society now has a building of its own.  The former Carleton Willey store on Main Street was donated to the Society by the Bar Harbor Banking and Trust in August.  This store consists of two buildings that had been connected so that the first floors could be used as one store.  One buildings referred to as the Monohan Store, has deteriorated to the point where it must be torn down.  The other, known as the Patten Building, is basically sound.  Work was started this fall to replace the necessary sills and jack the building back in place.

It is believed that the building was built around 1830 by Alexander Campbell and originally a grocery store occupied the first floor.  The second floor was occupied by Judge Caleb Burbank’s and William Freeman, Sr.’s law offices. In 1865, Martha N. Patten bought the building from Alexander, David W. & Francis C. Campbell.  Her husband, Frank W. Patten, operated a cobbler shop on the third floor. Many businesses were carried on in this building over the years: a barber shop, telegraph office, photography shop, and insurance, to mention a few.  The first floor of each building served as a grocery store for years.  Frank E. [B?] Patten ran a meat market.  John Monohan and U. G. Gardner had groceries.  We would appreciate hearing from persons who knew of different businesses located in either building and the years that they were there.  Please send a list to the editor.

Much work needs to be done on the building before it can be used as a museum.  We have a few volunteers; we could use a lot more.  Not much can be done until spring. Ellsworth Building Supply has offered to donate some materials, Another person has offered to donate paint for the outside of the building.  All donations are most welcome.

A food sale was held in September.  At the same time we raffled an afghan donated by Joanne Willey and a case of Pepsi donated by Leonard Willey.  A total of $241.00 was realized from this sale.  The afghan was won by Laura Beals the case of Pepsi by Jessie Santerre.  Edith Grant won the door prise for

A second sale was held in November.  The raffle prize was a radio, won by Leonard Willey.  The door prize went to Anita Merritt.  There was a guess cake, made by Margery Brown.  No one made the correct guess; it contained a small paper American flag.  Proceeds from this sale were $210.00.

The Bicentennial celebration in Cherryfield on the weekend of July 16-18 was a huge success.  The rain on Saturday forced cancellation of the parade until Sunday afternoon.  It was a beautiful day, there was a large crowd, and all of us were having a grand time with the first parade in Cherryfield in many a year.  The Bicentennial committee, under the leadership of Chairman Mrs. Jessie Santerre, did a wonderful job.

The Historical Society Museum, located in the Nash Carriage House, was open Friday, Saturday and Sunday afternoons that weekend.  About 70 people came in to view our exhibits.  The interest and enthusiasm shown by the visitors was most gratifying to those of us who worked to set up the exhibits. At present the museum is open by appointment, except during the winter by contacting Margery Brown.

The Committee used the money left from the Ball to buy trees which they planted in front of the Town Office (former Academy Building) in place of the elms which have been cut.

***

The next newsletter will report on our  progress in having old records and books microfilmed; books that we plan to have reprinted for sale, and perhaps a partial list of items that have been donated to the museum.

***

Our meetings are held the second Wednesday of each month at our building on Main Street.  Come and join us around our pot-bellied stove.

It was decided to name the Bar Harbor Banking and Trust as an honorary member in appreciation for the building. It was also decided to keep the membership dues at $1.00 for the coming year.  Your dues and donations are what helps the Society reach its goals of preserving local history.  All donations are tax-exempt.

Please share: Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone
Posted in Newsletters | Comments Off on December 1976, Volume 2, Number 2

February 1975: Volume 1, Number 1

On July 17, 1974, a group of 12 people met in the North Room of the Cherryfield Academy Building to discuss the possibility of organizing a Historical Society. The organizational meeting was held July 31, The following officers were elected:

 

  •           Margery Brown, President
  •           Betty Herring, Secretary
  •           John  P, Harriman, Vice President
  •           Clarence A. Tucker, Treasurer

 

Joseph Foster, aided by John C. Fralish, Jr., compiled our by-laws. The name Cherryfield-Narraguagus was chosen because a part of the present town was once the village of Narraguagus, part of the town of Steuben and we hope to include all towns of the Narraguagus Valley in the Society. Our by-laws are are such that any records and artifacts collected pertaining to a given town can be turned over to a Historical Society that may be organized in that town sometime in the future.

 

Mr. Fralish, a of the Cumberland County Historical Society of Carlisle, Pa., was vacationing in town this summer, We ato him for all his help. Among other things he cataloged three cemeteries complete with maps.  The Small, Old. and Willey Hill cemeteries.  a listing of all the known cemeteries (names and dates) in Cherryfield thru the work of Ruth (Robbins) Myrick, Larry, Ted and Margery Brown. Ruth also has lists of most of the cemeteries in Steuben, Milbridge, Harrington and Columbia.

We are grateful to the Union Trust Company for furnishing us with copies of the 1896 “birds-eye view” map of Cherryfield.  We are selling these for $2 as a fund raising project.

 

We have been given quite a few books, papers and artifacts and the promise of more once we have a place to display them. We hope to have a museum if we can locate a building to use. At present we are working on plans for a Bi-Centennial Celebration.

 

The end of the year finds us with 121 members and $264.80 in the treasury.

****************

COMMITTEE CHAIRMEN

  •               Cemeteries         Charles Wakefield
  •               Librarian/Archivist Edward Patten
  •               Genealogy          Margery Brown
  •               Historian          Margery Brown
  •               Publicity          John P. Harriman
  •                Membership         Barbara Peterson
  •               Bicentennial       Barbara Patten and Ellen Tenan

BOARD OF DIRECTORS

Joseph Foster      Edward Fatten      Fredrick Kneeland

PROJECTS FOR THE COMING YEAR

A Bicentennial Celebration … probably in 1976

Microfilming of the Narraguagus Times that are in the County Court .

Does anyone have copies prior to Nov. 1899?  First issue July? 1896.

Cataloging of the Older Houses in Town.

Do you know when your house was built?, by whom?, how many different families have called it “home”? If so will you write it down and send it to us?

A Building to use as the Cherryfield-Narraguagus Historical Society Museum.

Does anyone have an unused building available?

*********************

FROM THE PAST

2nd Brigade, 10th Division of the Massachusetts Militia
Cherryfield, Massachusetts; Headquarters, Hampden

May 5, 1818 One Captain, one Lieutenant, 4 sergeants, one drum, one fife, 48 rank and file, 32 muskets, 32 bayonets, 32 cartridge boxes, 31 iron ramers, 32 scabbards and belts, 55 flints, 27 wires and brushes, 14 knapsacks, 402 cartridges with balls.

1st. Captain Elijah Willis*       1803-1805
2nd.    ”    Wm. Campbell         1805-1810
3rd.    ”    Joseph Adams         1811-1815
4th.    ”    T. Lewis             1815-1818
5th.    ”    R. C. Campbell       1818-1819
6th.    ”    William Small        1820-1826
7th.    ”    James Wakefield      1829-1833
8th.    ”    _?_  H. F. Campbell*
9th.    ”    Caleb Burbank
10th.   ”    S. F. Adams

* Who was Elijah Willis? I have never come across the name Willis in any of the material that I have read so far, nor can I place this Campbell.  There may have been a name before the initials.  Some of the writing in that book was difficult to read.

*********************

The Society meets the 2nd. Wednesday of each month at the Cherryfield Academy Building.  I invite each and everyone in Cherryfield and surrounding towns to join with us to make this an active, interesting and informative Historical Society. Dues are $1.00 a year payable January of each year.  Enclosed is an application for your convenience.

Margery Brown, President 

Cherryfield-Narraguagus Historical Society
Cherryfield, Maine 04622

Please share: Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone
Posted in Newsletters | Comments Off on February 1975: Volume 1, Number 1